Borrowing money has been around for generations; back to when the banks and other financial institutions first came about. But unlike the present times, procuring a loan then was deemed a well-mannered negotiation.
Prospective borrowers made a formal appointment with the local bank manager in which few questions were asked and the debtor’s history with the bank was reviewed. The bank was much a part of the societal activity, and the process was accepted that way.
Recently, potential borrowers rarely set eyes on the bank loan manager. With the advent of the credit cards, and their proliferation, so much has changed that sometimes it hardly seems like people are borrowing at all, what with the credit cards that provide instant gratification. But whatever it is thought to be, there is no denying that it’s all about borrowing money.
For the small business owners planning a business start up, immediate questions spring to mind when planning to borrow money, questions such as: How can I borrow money? Where can I borrow money? How do I get a small business loan? What are the loan rates?
Three Loan Options
Usually, the interest rate is expressed as a percentage per annum. Three Loan options are:
- Fixed Interest Loan – does not change throughout the course of the loan
- Variable Loan – the interest rate can be changed by the lender
- Secured Loan – guaranteed by a mortgage or other assets.
List of Questions Small Business Owners Need to Ask Before Borrowing Money
- Is it worth incurring this debt?
- Will I have the cash to pay for it accordingly?
- What percentage does this loan represent to my available cash outlay?
- Have I clarified with my chosen lender the true/actual cost of the loan? (This might need to include, for example, charges that effectively add to interest payments)
- Are there other expenses to be considered that I might have overlooked?
- What are the contingencies I have allowed for in planning my business startup?
- Have I taken a financial advice of the type of loan I’m going to avail?
Although borrowing money can present great opportunities for investment and financial growth, it is a roller-coaster ride with the possible nightmare of inability to pay off debt. Business owners, as well as personal debtors, often want to get their loans approved with a sense of urgency. The diversity of the kinds of loan and looking for the needs that best fit the business, should be carefully studied and weighed.
If uncertain with issues about borrowing money, small business owners should consult a business loans consultant who can assist with the lending application process and explain key points that banks will evaluate in lending money.